Inspired by the pretty chocolate vegan cupcakes from my recent trip to a market, I decided to make my own cupcakes. They are not as pretty because I have very basic cupcake decor skills, but they tasted really good. Try it out.
I used this cake recipe from allrecipe.com
and modified it into cupcakes and made frosting from tofutti cream cheese.
Here’s my take on the recipe:
- 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour (you can sub this with rice flour)
- 1 cup of brown sugar (I prefer brown sugar because it’s healthier)
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder (I used Godiva Hot Cocoa because I got it for Christmas and I never make hot cocoa at home)
- 9 semi-sweet chocolate callets (65% cacao)*
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of distilled white vinegar (I sub with apple vinegar because I don’t have any distilled white vinegar)
- 1 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), lightly grease your pan. (I did not grease my pan because I used cupcake cups instead)
- Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
- I melted the chocolate callets in a pan in even heat and constant stirring (you can microwave this quickly) and add into the mixture.
- Pour into prepared cupcake cups and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven and the toothpick test. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
I took the package of tofutti and whip it with brown sugar and vanilla extract. Taste to liking and then used a piping bag and piped it on the cupcakes.
I hope you enjoy!
* I will be using the whole bag of chocolate callets next time I make this recipe because the more chocolate the better. By the way, I got the chocolate callets from Trader Joe’s.